Who needs a summer body when you can have cake?
Seriously though, no one can be healthy all the time and it’s wrong to think that even the most health conscious individual doesn’t indulge sometimes.
Lemon cake is an old guilty pleasure of mine – actually pretty much anything lemon flavoured has my approval. This super easy recipe makes a cake perfect for chilling outside in this amazing weather we’ve been having recently!
For the Cake
125g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
3 medium eggs
100g blueberries (frozen or fresh)
For the Syrup
50g caster sugar
4tbsp lemon juice
For the Icing
125g icing sugar
70g blueberries or 2 tbsp blueberry conserve
Blueberries, lemon slices or other optional decorations
….and a 2lb loaf tin
- Heat the oven to 170C.
- Mix the butter and sugar then add the eggs one at a time, ensuring to beat the mixture well to make the cake light and fluffy.
- Fold in the flower, lemon zest and blueberries (add in lemon juice for a strong flavour).
- Spoon into the greased tin and bake for 40 minutes checking often that the outside isn’t burning while leaving the inside raw. If the outside cooks too quickly reduce the temperature and increase the time in the oven instead.
- When the cake is golden brown and cooked through the middle remove it from the oven and cover with syrup, then leave the cake to cool completely.
- To make the syrup heat the sugar and lemon juice in a pan, boil for one minute until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Press the conserve through the sieve or if you don’t have conserve blend the blueberries then press them through the sieve, remember to scrape the underside.
- Combine with lemon juice and the icing sugar and mix.
- Add more water or lemon juice if required.